Friday, October 12, 2018

Friday - Song of Solomon 8 - I Pray Thee


T
HE demeanor of the Shulamite in Song of Solomon 8 is beautifully dependent and desirous.  Just like in spiritual prayer, this chapter deals with a triangle of relationships.  I pray to God, worshipping Him.  I inquire in prayer concerning His will and direction for me. I pray for my Christian siblings concerning their interactions with me and regarding their fellowship with the Father. I desire God.  I desire good from God for myself and for others.  I desire good between others and myself.  I desire good among others apart from myself. These are the core issues of prayer. And, in this chapter these are the core concerns of the Shulamite, Solomon, the Shulamite's sister, brothers and the daughters of Jerusalem.

One of the rawest lessons from the Song of Solomon, and particularly from this chapter, is that a proper measure of loving feminine aggressiveness from a wife toward her husband should not be frowned upon.  I speak, of course, of amorousness.  One cannot read Song of Solomon 8:1-3, 5-7, 10 & 14 objectively without noticing the yearning gravitational pull exuded from the Shulamite toward her husband. In other words, she was not some disinterested and aloof ma'am who simply tolerated Solomon's libido.  God invented men, and He designed women too. Our anatomy and chemistry are neither accidental nor incidental.  He made us for one another.  There is no shame in the fact that we fit together; and that we truly need one another to be complete.  It is all wonderful (Genesis 2:18 & 25).

No comments:

Post a Comment