Thursday, August 2, 2018

Thursday - Proverbs 2 - Like a Sponge


I
don't know why some kids love school and other kids hate it, but we all know it's true.  I fell into both categories when I was a student... and (come to think of it) when I was a teacher too.  It mostly had to do with success and failure.  When I was succeeding, I loved it.  And when I wasn't, I hated it.  Of course, that statement convolutes the picture a bit because my love or hatred for learning greatly affected my successes and failures in that endeavor.  Sometimes I just had other things that I wanted to do, and school seemed to be in the way.  At other times, the subject matter was tedious, seemed irrelevant or was (according to my perception) too complex for my small brain.  I suppose there were cases also when the time necessary to master a subject was too long and so I just got weary.  Even Solomon recognized that quantity in education can be exhausting (Ecclesiastes 12:12).

But, in the end, I have learned that being receptive towards (and memorizing, searching thoroughly, striving to understand, asking questions about, investing in and investigating) God's truth pays endless dividends.  Valuing and digging for a fresh nugget of doctrine has become a way of life.  Understanding and knowing God is my highest pursuit.  Admittedly, my own natural appetites distract me all too frequently, but I have tasted of the heavenly gift and have determined that a permanent diet of the same is a course to be desired.  Interestingly, in Proverbs 1 we were told to avoid the ways of sinners if we covet wisdom... in this chapter we are told that wisdom will preserve us and prevent us from descending onto the path of evil men.  So, you see, there is a cyclical snowball effect here... so it works both ways.  Evil begets foolishness, and foolishness begets more evil.  Likewise, moral discipline begets wisdom and wisdom moral discipline.

No comments:

Post a Comment