Saturday, December 15, 2018

Saturday - Isaiah 46 - Who's Carrying Whom?



I
N this brief chapter, there are 2 verses that stand out, and they must be examined together. Isaiah 46:4 & 7 are a contrast of religious arrangements. As God lays out these juxtaposed arrangements, it is immediately clear that He expects us to pick up on the obvious, and to deal with it honestly and bluntly. Idols are made by men. In contrast, men are made by God. Images are a burden to their devotees. In contrast, God willingly takes His followers' burdens and bears those burdens for us.  Men who make their own gods must thereafter carry those gods around wherever they intend to go.  But, God, who is our Maker, carries us wherever He wants us to go. 

I have failed God more times than I can either count or remember, but He has never failed me: not even once. I have met people who questioned His existence. I've found some who criticized His methods. There have been doubters and demons. And, although I have encountered theological dilemmas that I couldn't quite solve, neither to the satisfaction of some inquisitor, nor even to my own satisfaction, yet I don't remember ever feeling like God was being cornered; as if He were in desperate need of defense. God is great and mighty. It has been said, a lion doesn't need to be defended, he needs only to be himself. God being God is sufficient. He doesn't need my support or yours in order to stand. He invites and accepts our service, but even the energy for that has to come from His hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment