Friday, December 7, 2018

Friday - Isaiah 40 - The Plain Gospel


  
H
OW can one man love sin so much, and yet hate it so deeply also, at the same time? The apostle Paul walked this trail (Romans 7:14-25). And, it seems like every time that I think I've graduated out of "The Tempted" class, I find that I've flunked yet another exam (Isaiah 40:30). And, it is no consolation that I am not alone in this abysmal blundering either. We are all weak and frail in our moral fiber. Yet, no matter what everyone else does, I still must stand before God with my own life. It's frightening. I don't measure up to His standard! So, you might ask, what's the good news then?

Well, so far, we've majored on a minor in this chapter. The bulk of this prophecy of Isaiah is not about the inabilities of men, but about the ability of God. "Comfort my people!" God said (Isaiah 40:1). "Speak comfortably... iniquity is pardoned... prepare for the coming of the Lord... the crooked will be made straight... the glory of God will be seen.... they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint." That's a ton of good news. And how do we obtain such a generous offer?  By the power of God. We wither, but God's word stands (Isaiah 40:8). That's the winning recipe.  These are good tidings (Isaiah 40:9). God has come to save us; to do a work that we could never do. He is our Shepherd.  What a Savior!

No comments:

Post a Comment