Thursday, January 18, 2018

Thursday - Psalm 17 - Oh to Be Like Jesus!


S
aving the best for last, the Spirit of God caused David to conclude this wonderful poem thusly:  "As for me, I will behold Thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with Thy likeness" (Psalm 17:15).  Well, I certainly agree with those sentiments!  I sadly discover and rediscover over and again that the image of God in me has been grossly marred (Ecclesiastes 7:29).  I realize with poignant intensity that I have inherited His confidence but none of the basis for it.  But some day... when I see Him face to face, I will be permanently perfected (I John 3:2). Then, I will never be a disappointment again!  Amen!

Several of the statements in this Psalm are claims that only Christ would truly be qualified to make. Only Jesus could truly pray with words that were not feigned at all... words absolutely untainted by a deceptive heart (Jeremiah 17:9 & Psalm 17:1).  Jesus alone could be examined by the Father and be found to be without flaw (Psalm 17:3 & Revelation 5:3-5).  Only Jesus could stand alone before Lucifer and resist every temptation every time using only the Words of Scripture (Psalm 17:4 & Hebrews 4:15).

Other statements in this Psalm turn out to be prophetic references to Jesus... as is revealed in the New Testament.  Psalm 17:5 leads us into Psalm 91:12, Matthew 4:6 & Luke 4:11...as we see that God had His hand uniquely upon His only begotten Son (Hebrews 1:5 & 13).  Psalm 17:9-12 foreshadows the opposition that Jesus endured as He went to die willingly for the very people who were crying out against Him.  Verses 13 & 14 uniquely point to Christ's dilemma on the cross.  On the cross, there was a desire in Jesus' mind and heart to be delivered from the abuse of the very men who were God's instruments executing the will of the Father through the killing of their own Savior and King (Acts 2:23).  As bizarre as it may seem, Jesus prayed.  The Father heard the prayers of His eternal Son and answered them (Hebrews 5:7)... including the requests of Psalm 17:8 & 15.  In answer to His Son's prayer, God kept His intense affection and attention on His Son as He fulfilled His earthly ministry.  Proof of this is the resurrection of Christ 3 days after His death.

No comments:

Post a Comment