Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Wed. or Thurs - Jeremiah 13 - Marred Pride



A
LL in obedience to God, Jeremiah took a long cloth, and wore it for a while. Then, he went and buried that same cloth under a rock on the wet banks of the Euphrates River. After a time, he returned & retrieved it. It was rotten & ruined. But it was an illustration for Jeremiah to use in a sermon to Israel (vs. 15).

Now, however Jeremiah wore his girdle, he wore it close to his body. This surely represented the closeness of Israel to God (vs. 11). Like the rite of circumcision for the Jews, this illustration showed that God had willingly brought His elect people into a very intimate position of privilege; knowing Him and His approving presence. Sadly, they had let it go to their head. We do that, don't we? God gives us some extravagant gift, and we in turn abuse it.  Not you maybe, but I'm guilty. He saved me from sin, yet I sin. He shared His love with me, yet I often withhold it from others. He adopted me into His family, and I promptly look with contempt at the Devil's children, as if I was a natural born son of God. In short, I too am guilty of foolish and blasphemous pride. Judah was.

The solution for pride is shame (vs. 26). Our pride can be expunged by a clear view of the shame that Christ endured on the cross. Or, it can be smashed under the heavy hand of God's glorious wrath in the day of judgment. Either way, all of our pride must be marred. It must die and fall away. It stands directly in God's way (John 15:5).

No comments:

Post a Comment