Friday, January 26, 2018

Friday - Psalm 23 - The Greatest Chapter in the Bible



L
ike the Psalm before it, Psalm 23 also stands wonderfully without comment or explanation.  However, since I have known it by heart for as long as I can remember, I think I should like to take one small piece of it and ruminate on it for a moment. 

When I was a very small child I used to stand out in the front yard and quote Psalm 23 as loudly and as dramatically as I could.  I imagined myself a great preacher, like my dad or one of the many pastors, evangelists and missionaries that I had heard from the day I was born.  However, in my tirades to my neighborhood (which was comprised mostly of soy beans, a dog and the only neighbor within shouting distance), I don't ever recall getting past the second phrase in Psalm 23:1, "I shall not want." Now, in good Baptist form I ran every unrelated rabbit trail that I could think of from verse 1 and never got to the rest of the Psalm.  But then again, that's not all bad.  Think of the power in that one little phrase... I shall not want (or lack).

Since the Lord is my shepherd, I have everything I need. Hebrews 13:5 says, "Be content with such things as ye have: for He has said, 'I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee."' Again, Roman 8:32 adds, "He that spared not His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things?"  Oh the comfort, the strength, the assurance, the safety, the hope and the cheer we find in the words of this great old Psalm. When I read it or quote it, I can truly say, "My cup runneth over!"  The waters are calm; the grass is green; I have nothing to fear; the table is full; heaven is my home; the Lord is my shepherd... I have everything I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment