Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Tuesday - Joshua 13 - The Beginning of the End of Another Era

The rest of the book of Joshua is devoted to the ending of Joshua's life. Not much time is covered, even though a dozen chapters are devoted to the happenings. The most significant thing that is addressed is the divvying up of the land to the various tribes. Dr. J. Vernon McGee points out appropriately that even though Joshua's ministry was basically over, there were still many enemies to conquer. 

By this we are reminded that we will never conquer every foe in this life. As long as we live, there will be more territory to consider. It's the nature of life... just don't ever stop struggling. In words frequently attributed to Billy Sunday, "I'm against sin. I'll kick it as long as I've got a foot, and I'll fight it as long as I've got a fist. I'll butt it as long as I've got a head. I'll bite it as long as I've got a tooth. And when I'm old and fistless and footless and toothless, I'll gum it till I go home to Glory and it goes home to perdition!" That's the kind of spirit we should strive to have. Too often we pretend like we have won all of the battles that there are to win... as if we have arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment