Thursday, July 19, 2018

Thursday - Psalm 142 - No Man Cared for My Soul



D
OES Jesus Care? Oh, what a wonderful song that is!  And, what a significant question too!  And the answer is a resounding, Yes!  His heart is touched by my grief.  When the days are dreary, and the long nights make us weary, we can still be sure that Jesus cares for us.

Here in Psalm 142:3 we have the foundation for God's abiding care.  David prayed to God saying, "When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then You knew my path."  Now, to me that is a deeply refreshing concept.  Even though I've never had to go hide like David did (in a cave) to keep from being tracked down and killed, I have felt overwhelmed a few times.  What a comfort it is to know that God is not surprised by my plight.  He knows which path I am on and He knows that path thoroughly.  In fact, I can say the same thing David said with even more confidence and proof than David had.  I live in the age (or era or dispensation) of grace.  God's Son has endured incarnation.  God has always known everything.  But now, He knows every path that we have to take BECAUSE He has walked every path Himself (Hebrews 4:15).  He understands experientially because He has trudged each trek and has survived the journey (Hebrews 7:26).  Every pitfall, every trap and every fork in the trail are perfectly expected and emotionally understood by God.  So, we would be wise to walk the trails WITH Him, rather than trying to go it alone.

When David was completely bumfuzzled and flabbergasted with life's painful conundrums, he cried.  He felt trapped.  He knew His only hope was for God to rescue him; to break him out of his jail.  And, he fully expected that God would do just that. God's bountiful supply of goodness and mercy had been aimed David's way before, and so He expected in faith that God would do it again. Even if no human cared about David's pain, God cared.  And ultimately, that was enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment